Tuesday, October 26, 2010

caftan

Canvas Weekend Herald 23 October 2010

                                Burda 07/2010                                          Burda 06/2010

McCalls 6037

the first item in my 'me, me, ME!' sewing plan is a caftan. I was inspired by the fashion page in the weekend newspaper liftout and the June & July 2010 Burda magazines. My caftan must-haves are a deep v neckline (not plunging), airy sleeves and a flamboyant chiffon print.

McCalls 6037 will be a good basic pattern to go with. It has the desired neckline and would look great in a bold print. I'm undecided about the sleeves. I'd love to have full fluttery sleeves and I'm not convinced that the pattern sleeves will meet that ideal. I've decided to stick with this pattern for now.

In case you're wondering where such a garment could be worn? at the beach and around the pool (over a swimsuit) of course!

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Hi! Just wondering if you made your caftan and how it turned out. I was thinking of purchasing this pattern, do you recommend it? Would love to see a pic of your creation, I'm totally obsessed with caftans lately.

Regards,
Elisa

Normatika said...

I love caftans but this pattern turned out to be a dud for me. Didn't flatter my shape at all!

Elisa said...

Thanks for the review, been searching for a great pattern and so far these are in the running:

Kwik Sew 3332
McCalls 5855, 5834, 5625
Burda #112
Butterick 5494
Simplicity 4550

I'm so determined not to pay $100+ for something that should be easy to make oneself. I'll let you know if one of these proves successful. Nice blog, btw.