In the South Pacific, the lava lava is more than just an accessory for the beach or pool. It's an article of clothing that's worn by both men and women in everyday life. Although a lava lava is simple to make, it's being able to tie it (so it looks stylish) that's the real challenge. For the uninitiated, it can seem pretty daunting to find a flattering way to make a simple rectangle of fabric work. To get you started, there's 24 ways to tie a lavalava. My favourite lava lava styles are in the photos above. Let me know if you have a favourite way to tie a sarong.
a visual record of creative life in New Zealand with some sewing, photography and other equally delightful notions thrown into the mix...
Saturday, September 11, 2010
lava lava
In the South Pacific, the lava lava is more than just an accessory for the beach or pool. It's an article of clothing that's worn by both men and women in everyday life. Although a lava lava is simple to make, it's being able to tie it (so it looks stylish) that's the real challenge. For the uninitiated, it can seem pretty daunting to find a flattering way to make a simple rectangle of fabric work. To get you started, there's 24 ways to tie a lavalava. My favourite lava lava styles are in the photos above. Let me know if you have a favourite way to tie a sarong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great idea - I'm off on a beach holiday soon so I might make one of these up for myself if I get the chance!
suboo.blogspot.com
I have sarongs as well since it's common where I'm from.
I like the designs of your sarongs. :) I like to tie mine like a halter top.
Post a Comment