Sunday, September 20, 2009

burda 8179 overalls




just finished view B, short overalls for Miss 12 to wear on a school trip to the Waiwera heated pools tomorrow. The fabric is a self striped mid weight denim/lycra mix.  Generally speaking I prefer the big 4 when it comes to patterns. Miss 12 likes burda mostly because the 'teen' patterns are funky, edgey and fun, so I agreed to make them. Despite the fun style, this was not a fun sew.

I found that this pattern had some quirky design features that completely killed the fun factor for me ie. the front and back 'short' pieces didn't match up (the front was larger than the back), the tabs for the buttons are completely separate pattern pieces that need to be taped to the main shorts pieces before cutting (very easy to miss this!), the back and front bibs should be lined to give the bib weight (otherwise it's too floppy), the button size suggested by the pattern are too big (given the size of the button plackets).




Despite all that, the end result is a very cute pair of overalls, just perfect for summer!

No comments: