Wednesday, August 12, 2009

pants progress sew far

now that the pants adjustments are at last complete, I'm ready to start sewing. The main adjustments were my usual pear shape issues including a forward tilting pelvis and the resulting sway back. The pants are going to be fully lined and kept long so that I can wear them with heels. Hopefully I'll have the pants finished by the weekend. So much for a 'quick' sew!

To help achieve a professional fly finish (I hate sewing zips), I'm using Sandra Betzina's zipper installation method. I find that this method produces great results. The existing pants extension wasn't wide enough so I've adjusted it to measure 1-3/8 inches wide and 8 inches long, giving plenty of room for the zipper work.


After these pants are finished, I'll start making a top next using New Look 6807. Even though the pattern is for knits, I'm going to make view B using a liquid satin print (I'm a sucker for a challenge), and plan to sew a band around the neckline to make it a pull over top and omit the sleeves elastic. I'm hoping that it will make up into a flirty top.

Remember my Alice & Olivia pants? I started sewing them back in February then decided that they weren't inspiring me (too many steps!)so they ended up in the UFO pile. I've pulled them out and think that they might be worth resurrecting. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: