Friday, August 7, 2009

finished jacket


it took 2 weeks to sew at a frustratingly slow pace but I can now happily say that it's finished. This was a sewing project with a few glitches along the way:

  • not enough fabric. I had 1.6 metres of 150cm fabric and thought that this would be enough. It would have been if I didn't want to have a collar. So I had to improvise. This was partly successful although I had to sew a centre seam in the under collar piece. (I'd bought the fabric at a sale and this was the end of the bolt.) Next time, I'll read the pattern more carefully!


  • my facings had to be cut out of the fabric I'd planned to make my gaucho pants. This has resulted in a slightly stiffer jacket than what I wanted.


  • I couldn't find the jacket interfacing that I wanted at Spotlight so I made do with an inferior iron-on interfacing that I had on hand. I'm making a special trip into Centrepoint this weekend to stock up so that I don't get caught short again.


  • I abandoned the idea of the hong kong seams (after I'd spent a bit of time making the bias binding) and decided to line it instead using a remnant of floral silk voile dug out of my fabric stash ahem, I mean collection. The lining fabric had grain issues.


  • my iron died.


  • I'm not done with this pattern yet. It's back in the sewing queue again to be made up in black for my next mini wardrobe adventure.

    3 comments:

    Mary Nanna said...

    wow - that looks great -despite misadventures - that collar is so cute and the floral lining just makes it.

    Smart Dress Fabrics in Mt Albert has got some fusible interfacing on sale for $5 a metre, the guy gave me a sample, haven't tried it yet, but he reckons it's better than solidot. He's also got my favourite fusible for $10 which is quite a bit cheaper than Centrepoint.

    Just tellin' ya in case you're a tight wad like me.

    Normatika said...

    Hey there, thanks for the heads up, I'm going to stop over there tomorrow, cheers!

    Pinkflowerbuttons said...

    it looks fantastic.