

I learnt to sew on my mother's old Singer with the knee bar. I must have been about 9 or 10 years old at the time. What a grunty machine! It had both speed and power & it took a while for me to learn to master the knee bar. Mum would whip up dresses for my sister and I to wear to church on Sunday. We had the matching thing going on in those days when she'd dress us alike. Then Mum won a new Riccar sewing machine in a competition and her Singer was traded in as a condition of the win. After she said that she wished she hadn't done so as she preferred her Singer.
As for my teenage daughter, I bought her a groovy retro Singer Genie to learn to sew on. There's no way I'd let her near my sewing machine. I'm sewing on a Singer Rumina. She loves her little machine although doing button holes on it is a pain. Thank goodness someone invented automatic buttonholes!
3 comments:
Very cool, your blog is so interesting
Thats so sad she gave in her old singer, Janome are doing that over here.
Thats really sad that she had to give in her favourite machine.
Post a Comment