Monday, October 14, 2013

sewing for my bloke


Mr B hasn't been very lucky when it comes to my sewing output. The only item I ever made for him was a long sleeve shirt way back in January 1989. That's almost 25 years ago!

He recently cleaned out his wardrobe (he's a shirt & jeans kind of bloke) and I realized that it was time to end the sewing drought and tackle some menswear sewing. On the list are: well fitted shirts (both short & long sleeves), a smart jacket for semi casual wear and straight slim cut trousers.

Where to go to for inspiration? definitely not the local menswear stores. I mean I don't see my bloke wanting to wear tiny floral print shirts or loud, screaming graphic prints and stripes/plaid/checks are boring... so on the weekend I made a trip out to Designer Textiles and found some really great shirt fabric. I deliberately stayed away from stripes, plaid and checks (there was plenty of those to choose from ) - instead opting for a grey-blue soft cotton.

I'm using Burda 7045 which was featured in an episode of The Great British Sewing Bee. Apparently according to the pattern reviews I've read - even with all its fiddly bits, this shirt can be made in about 4 hours. As you all know, I'm all for a quick sew. Wish me luck as I break my menswear sewing drought.

No comments: