Monday, May 14, 2012

TEAL retro travel posters



TEAL (Tasman Empire Airways Limited) retro travel posters depict a time when air travel was a luxurious treat. Flying in the luxury solent flying boats was glamourous with passengers dressed in their Sunday best - women dressed in furs and hats, men snappily dressed in suits and ties. Today it's a very different story. Now the only remaining Solent IV in the world is located at MOTAT. I got the chance to have a look inside some years ago. The presentation was elegant travel with silver service, table linen and a chef that cooked to order.

The TEAL travel posters are really something. The posters designed by Arthur Thompson are my favourites. I love his use of bright contrasting colours and unusual abstract style. Eyecatching and very memorable!

At my primary school we had these posters on the walls. I'd imagine travelling on a Solent on the "Coral route". By the end of the school year, the posters were tatty and ended up in the rubbish bin. Wish I'd kept one.

No comments: