In early June 2010, I had my first mammogram as part of the NZ national breastscreening programme. All seemed to go well and I didn't think about it again. Then 3 weeks later, I got a phone call that I needed to go back for further assessments. After an ultrasound and more mammograms, the doctor's opinion was that the area that he'd seen on the mammography was nothing to worry about and recommended that I go back on to the standard screening list (2 yearly cycle).
The next day, another doctor called to ask me to have some biopsies done as he wasn't convinced. So a week later, I had both fine needle aspiration and stereotactic core biopsies performed. The results came back 7 days later, stating that the area showing up on the mammograms was a lesion with areas of radial scarring and lobular carcinoma in situ.
The very next week, I had a hook wire put in and I was in surgery to have the area excised. The surgeon confidently told me that the success rate was 95%. At pre-op, the surgeon breezed into the cubicle with the biggest smile and said "Kia Ora girl..."
This 2 month journey has both frightened and empowered me. I was shaken by the roller coaster speed within which everything was taking place. I'm thankful for the peer review system, where doctors could review my inital & subsequent mammography and recommend the biopsies. Who knows, what 2 years down the track I could have been facing? For now, I'm just glad to be alive! I am changed forever...
Please read the comments attached to this post for updates on this journey.

9 comments:
Yes, early detection does save many lives. Continue raising awareness on this matter.
Wow I am so glad you are alright, that would be frightening. I love your last paragraph the best and how you said it frightened you and empowered you. Empowerment is Vital for living.
2011, my first mammogram since the surgery show that the breast cancer hasn't returned.
For others the fight continues on or has even ended. Thoughts and prayers for Natalie Murphy www.helpnat.com whose story and spirit is an inspiration.
had my 2nd mammogram done 24 Sept 2012 and the results came yesterday (on my darling daughters 16th birthday) - "no evidence of breast cancer". I wept with joy.
I felt a small lump in my armpit. Went in to see the Dr who did a thorough exam and told me she can feel 2 small lumps in my lymph nodes area & there's an area that she wants checked on my left breast. So I've been referred for a mammogram.
Had a mammogram and ultrasound done. I'm now booked to have biopsies on my left breast and armpit. Feeling very anxious at the moment.
Biopsy results confirm that it is a benign lump. I'm also back on the yearly breast screening programme again for another year.
Got checked again in mid December 2014 and I'm still ok.
I'm continuing with regular mammograms and everything is going ok.
Post a Comment