Tuesday, July 6, 2010

1970s patterns

I'm inspired by the many talented, blogging sewers who sew up a storm with their favourite vintage patterns. It seems that every retro sewer has a pattern era(s) that they enjoy sewing. The 40s, 50s and 60s seem hugely popular and I love seeing modern day interpretations of classic designs. The 60s and 70s styles in women and childrens wear appeal to me the most. With the Simplicity "look slimmer pattern" collection being my favourite. These 70s patterns suit my silhouette and are more flattering on me than the A-line mod inspired styles of the 60s. Here's a look at the 2 patterns that I'll be making up for myself.


Simplicity 5914 - this pattern is designed to make the dress wearer look slimmer - sounds great to me! I'll be grading this pattern down to fit and then making my usual adjustments. I haven't chosen a fabric yet although I plan to wear this dress more as a tunic with jeans. So I'm considering making this dress up in a cotton print.                                                


Simplicity 6213 - this pattern deserves special attention. I love the formality of it's design - it reminds me so much of what air hostesses wore in the 70s. Again it's another 'look slimmer' pattern (my favourite sewing theme at the moment) which I'll have to grade down and then again make my usual adjustments. I just love the contrast piping and buttons details. This is going to be a very fun sew!

3 comments:

Mary Nanna said...

I have that top pattern too - I wasn't convinced I'd look slimmer in it though! Can't wait to see what it looks like made up, so... go on, make it up soon!

Mary Nanna said...

I have that top pattern too - I wasn't convinced I'd look slimmer in it though! Can't wait to see what it looks like made up, so... go on, make it up soon!

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

Totally agreed upon, love vintage patterns