Sunday, May 2, 2010

party skirt

with the arrival of another birthday party invitation for Miss 13, there's always the usual question of what to wear? She found inspiration in the Dec 09/Jan 10 issue of Dolly magazine with a canary yellow Ladakh frou frou skirt RRP $79.95. I made a quick trip to Spotlight for some black cotton satteen, black tulle and an 18cm zip. I especially chose the satteen for it's sheen and weight. It can hold out the gathers well without going all limp. A tulle underskirt would complete the skirt.


the skirt itself was easy to make. It's basically a shortened drindl skirt made up of 3 rectangles. I think nearly every sewer I know has made one of these at the start of their sewing experience.  I put in a centred side zip that pulled to the top of the waistband edge. It gives the skirt a neater and cleaner finish. The tulle petticoat was ditched at the last minute as we both agreed it was too much frou frou and reminiscent of a ballerina tutu. It does look really great on especially since Miss 13 has a nice pair of legs inherited from her Dad.                               

No comments: