a visual record of creative life in New Zealand with some sewing, photography and other equally delightful notions thrown into the mix...
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
picnic food
my mother introduced me to the idea of steamed pork buns as a picnic food. These have become my familys most favourite picnic food, although of course, you can make and eat them anytime. I use this recipe as my basis. I'm forever improvising when I make these. Here's a few tips of what I've tried so far:
* try using mince (any kind) or try diced/chopped chicken etc instead of pork or maybe leave the meat out altogether and go with lots of veg.
* add veges. I like to add grated carrot or shredded cabbag or mixed veges or spinach etc. You get the idea! The options are endless and it's also a great way to have children eat their veges.
* I often leave the rice wine out of my filling mixture.
* you can adjust the soy sauce/oyster sauce measurements until you're happy with the taste, colour and texture of your filling.
My mother's best hint is to have the pinched tops at the bottom when they're being steamed as they become all glossy and rounded when they're cooked.
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment