Sunday, June 14, 2009

vintage swing coat


my latest vintage find is this really lovely swing coat. It's a royal purple with a soft rabbit fur collar, and is a large size so there's plenty of room for wearing winter woolies underneath. However the coat does have issues. You'll see that one of the front edges has a noticeable 'nibble' in the wool. I'm guessing that it's moth damage. It's about 6cm long and 1 cm wide. There's a smaller nibble above it as well about 1.5cm long by 1cm wide. I can see an attempted repair, where the 2 damaged edges have simply been handstitched together.

For now, it's hanging up while I decide the best way to mend the edge (that's if I can). A couple of options present themselves:

* I could just ignore it! after all it's so low down no one will really notice it when the coat is buttoned up and possibly when it's open too? or

* Straighten up the front edge. I'm not sure about this as I think it will make that part of the coat look out of balance & possibly affect the swing? or

* Take some fabric from the inside hem and attempt re-attachment surgery. I don't think this would actually work or

what do you think?

1 comment:

Judy Ross said...

If it were me, I'd add a facing on the outside, like a contrast border down the front edge. I'm assuming finding a matching fabric would be impossible, so I'd go for a subtle contrast. Or a petersham ribbon border, or some other trim might look good too. (My philosophy is "There are no sewing mistakes, only opportunites for design features".) I suspect an attempt at repairing the hole is never going to be invisible, so I'd go for covering it up totally. Just my opinion! I'd love to see what you end up doing.