Thursday, March 5, 2009

1950s hard plastic



I've always had an interest in the 1950s hard plastic walking dolls. Especially in the New Zealand made Pedigree walkie talkies. On my wishlist for the longest time was the bent knee walker doll which are becoming harder and harder to find now.
Luckily last year, I discovered this poor doll. Of course, she was in need of repair. There's no way that I could afford an original, pristine doll although in hindsight, if I add up how much she's cost me to fix up, I probably could lol! She was missing a lower leg, had sparse hair, no eyelashes and as you can see, was very age and play worn. I met the doll's owner who told me that she'd received this doll as a childhood birthday gift. Sadly she was parting with it as she didn't have the money to fix it and no daughters or nieces to pass it on to.




It took a year before I got her back (long boring story about doll hospital delays). With a vintage doll like this, I personally prefer the 'improved' look rather than the 'make it look like new' look. After all, she's over 50 years old. I'm sure you'll agree that she looks a lot better now than when she first arrived.



She's due a new outfit. I'd love to knit her a vintage styled set like the pale blue pattern in the photo. She'll also need a name (I'm open to suggestions) and some nicer photos too. I'll get onto those all very soon!

No comments: