Sunday, February 8, 2009

happy birthday barbie


50 years old. I thought I'd dedicate this post to the doll that's influenced so many of us, shaping our ideas about who and what we can or can't become. I never owned a Barbie doll as a child. But I was still exposed to the wave of Barbie's influence. Perfect hair, flawless skin, big boobs, tiny waist and long legs seemed to be the most desirable way to look. Even though it's an impossible standard for girls to achieve, it didn't stop our overwhelming desire to look and be like Barbie.

Barbie was created to be a 'play' doll. She came on the scene when most girls played with baby dolls, learning through play to become mothers and homemakers. Barbie brought a whole new world of possibility to a girl's horizons. Thanks Barbie for helping us see that we have it in ourselves to be whatever we want to be.

No comments: