Thursday, October 30, 2008

BJD sewing again!



After a wee break, I'm back sewing for the BJD dolls again. I started off my foray into doll sewing by sewing for Barbie dolls (when my eldest daughter was really into Barbie), then I moved on to 16 inch Tonner fashion dolls. From there, I discovered BJDs (ball jointed dolls) and soon realised that the bigger 60cm+ dolls were my preferred size for sewing. I had more choice in the fabrics and styles that I could create and above all, sewing for this size was less fiddley. Since then, I've been slowly building up my family of BJD models with 3 Elfdolls, 1 Lishe, 1 Domuya Fin and 1 Limhwa Mano. I do have 2 smaller MSD sized BJDs: Minifee Lishe & Narae models, although I don't sew for these dolls much. I beat the boredom factor by sewing for other dolls including Pedigree Walkie Talkies and Saucy Walkers.

There's such a variation when it comes to BJD clothing, ranging from anime & cosplay right through to high fashion. My BJD styles are more focussed towards being casual/fashion. My doll collecting hobby goes hand in hand with my doll sewing. I've been lucky enough to make this hobby pay for itself with my sewing as well as onselling my many fashion & vintage dolls, as the BJDs are very expensive with the average 60cm+ BJD costing between $500-$800 USD. (I try to buy second hand BJDs when I can). But with the drop in the NZD (I can't see it improving vastly any time soon), I don't think I'll be buying any BJDs for a while.

1 comment:

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

I looooovvvee the fabrics/materials.