Wednesday, August 11, 2010

muu muu dress


the muu muu is a unique, loosely fitting dress associated with the Hawaiian Islands. The muu muu was introduced by Christian missionaries, who for the sake of modesty wished to cover the bodies of Hawaiian women, who often wore only grass skirts. Then it was a very fashionable item of womenswear particularly in the 1950s -1970s, where it was worn for relax/lounge/sleep/beach wear. Imagine paying $1.89 for a dress?


The muu muu embraces colour and patterns. The brighter and bolder, the better! You wouldn't feel out of place wearing the loudest colours and brightest, boldest patterns in the Pacific Islands.


I've had McCalls 2250, a modern muu muu pattern, sitting in the pattern drawer for almost a year. I bought it at a closing down sale (it was $2) along with quite a lot of cheap & cheerful, bright, bold island prints from a retiring dressmaker. The shorter version would make a nice coverup for wearing over a swimsuit after a swim. Hooray for the muu muu - it's a true timeless classic!

2 comments:

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

Love these dresses, they look functional and practical I would love to make some oneday fun fun :)

Anonymous said...

my mum in law is turning 90 ths month and we have been looking for some muumuus for summer but to no avail. Do u make and sell them?or do u know where I can get some for her for her birthday? Vonne